Tuesday 5 November 2013

I'd rather eat it cold

I've been battling with different subjects to dedicate my first official entry to. I have learned so much about certain things, yet so little overall, that I don't feel entirely ready to share everything I have made a part of my daily routines and habits just yet. 
Yesterday night though, at my dear friend Guada's house, I had a little go with her about microwaves, it literally lasted just a few sentences, but that's normally enough to get me boiling up here. Yeah, I'm a tad obsessive, you'll see more of that. 

Microwaves have actually for many years now, been a major concern for me, because since I can remember, at my parents house there has always been one. At first I was so amazed and thankful by the fact that I didn't need to ask any adult for help to warm up my leftovers or pop some corn, but I could actually do it myself with the touch of a button. I mean, what is not great about that? Well, turns out, a lot! Even though, not enough -for some- studies have been made about it, what's out there is more than enough for me. It all started when I got to ask myself the question: If I shouldn't stand near a microwave in use, nor place medicine/foods over or near it, why on Earth should I eat what's emerging from it? Common-sense in my world. But I've been debated on this one, continuously. Like Guada yesterday argued: "if you don't wanna use the microwave, then you might as well get rid of your iPhone" And I certainly give her that, because I believe that line to be so very true. But well, I'm working on changing my life one step at a time and I'm not ready to hear my parents say something about me going backwards, and how I would be breaking the deal I made with my mom to talk to each other every day after our wonderful mom-daughter trip to NZ and OZ, how technology has changed the world and maybe words like "cavewoman" will pop-up. Simply, not ready yet. While I sleep though, I do leave it in another room, on airplane mode and/or switched off, and turn the wi-fi device off as well. Anyway, what I did give up long ago, even while still living under their roof, was the microwave. I sincerely believe it has been an important step for me. Besides the common-sense side of it, there are a few points to be taking into account when deciding to ditch that harmful radiation out of your life for good. I will only throw a couple of what I consider to be basic knowledge about microwaves your way, but I do suggest you to do some research on your own, so that you can decide for yourself which of the other facts are enough for you to stop microwaving your meals. Or not. Always your choice.

-The natural way for heat to work [on our food] is from without, whereas microwave heating happens from within the cells and molecules, primarily those containing water, as it is harder for it to work in sugars and fats. Artificial. So even if some would challenge you by saying "but the sun emits radiation". You can reply with: First of all, it is not the same type of artificial radiation and second, we need the sun to survive, we sure do not need microwaves.

-The change that occurs in the cells and molecules from microwave heating creates new components that our bodies are not able to break down, as they are unknown to our nature. Even if conventional heating methods do change the properties of our food, it does not damage our bodies. It might deprive us of some of the richness of whatever we are about to ingest, but it is certainly not harmful to our system. 

Now, I would like to take this second post to specify that whatever I write on this blog is entirely my opinion, based on my personal experience and knowledge. I do not intend to present any "absolute truths" here and I certainly don't want to plagiarize authorship on any of these subjects. What I have learned on most of these subjects, I mostly did by mouth-to-mouth corroborating from the internet. When I know/remember the sources I will definitely make reference to them. But if it is something I read/heard/lived long ago, I will refrain from making references, as they are now my own truth and I'm just trying to pass it on.

References:
Read further about Hans Hertel study on microwave heating in this article: here



No comments:

Post a Comment